Thursday, September 08, 2005

Tivoli!

Here she is, all done:

Yarn: Knitpicks Shine, Turquoise (although I'd call it more of a teal)
Needles: size 5 circulars (from my Denise set)

She's a little loose, particularly in the back:


Grumperina suggested giving it at least 2" of negative ease, and I went for closer to an inch and a half. I had to round up or down, and the looser option gave me better numbers for dividing. Plus, my gauge might have bit a little loose.

Oh well. If I had to do it again, I'd probably do it at least two inches smaller, but I do like it as it is. The looser fit is ladylike, and the extra drape in the back is kind of pretty. I have been thinking of doing a variant with some lacework at the yoke and/or hem.


That'll have to wait, though; I'm working on one for my mom now. She loved mine and wants one for Christmas. I cast on for it yesterday in Knitpicks Shine in Orchid She wears a smaller size than I do, but I'll be sure to keep it closer-fitting for her.


If I do say so myself, S-M-R-T! When I resized the pattern, I made the underarms too wide, showing my bra edge and framing that underarm flab... I fixed it, not by frogging, but by grafting! I took a yarn needle and stitched up four stitches on either side of both armholes, narrowing it nicely. Invisible, if I do say so myself:



I finished Tivoli on my way to Phoenix for a conference last week, and also did lots of swatching up of my KnitPicks samples. Mmm... alpaca. I'll post pics later. I am completely enamoured of Ambrosia, Panache, and Andean Treasure, and am sorely tempted by Alpaca Silk as well. Must... plan... wardrobe... carefully... before... buying... yarn!

I also finished the doublecrochet neck edging on Soleil:

I didn't love it. It did have a nice lacy look, but it closed up too much of the v-neck. I ripped it out (is it frogging if it's crochet?) and redid it in single crochet with a crochet three, skip one pattern, that both laid flat and looked pretty nice. I couldn't find my yarn needle, so I haven't woven in the ends yet, but hopefully I'll get to wear it once or twice before the weather turns. I also have a vague idea for a cardigan in mind, and extra cherry Shine in my stash.

I love having a stash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home