Thursday, August 04, 2005

Soleil

I decided to let Soul ripen a bit before I decided what to do with it. In the meantime, I've begin work on Soleil, using KnitPicks Shine in Cherry. This is gorgeous and cheap yarn, I must say. My only complaint is that the splices in the ball are sometimes a little rough. Still, they aren't prominent in the finished garment, so it's no biggie.

Here's my baby:



I'm about 8" into it (bottom-up). I'm not 100% sure about the lace section. The parts where I s1, k2tog, psso don't look quite right. Still, I followed the directions exactly, and the other decreases I played with look worse. Let's hope it falls out in the blocking.





I had some trouble choosing a size for this one. The second-smallest size gave me zero ease, and this clearly wanted to be negative, so I opted to make the smallest. However, I don't want it too-too tight, so I'm doing more increases than recommended, to try to get it to the optimal amount of ease in the bust.

I'm doing the resizing in kind of a half-assed way, but it could be worse. I'm planning on starting Tivoli next, and for that one, I'm doing a complete redesign for my (unrepresented) size and in Shine. Tivoli looks smashingly flattering and very delicately modest, so I'm excited about wearing it. However, the real fun is going to be in the redesign. I got some nice advice from Grumperina on the recommended ease, and I am a big nerd, so it should be fairly straightforward.

I'd like to try my hand at some design of my own soon. One of the first things I made since rediscovering knitting two years ago was a fitted v-neck sweater in Red Heart Light & Lofty (the only acrylic yarn I truly love). It fit smashingly, but (being a tight, somewhat revealing sweater in bulky bouclee) looked terrible on. Still, designing that sweater was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

For design, I'm thinking about a fairly fine-gauge cardigan in not-too-fru-fru lace. I tried one on at New York & Co yesterday, but the fit was awkward, the materials poor, and it was (IMHO) overpriced for what it was. I couldn't stop thinking that I could make it better myself. So maybe I will. I'm looking over some lace patterns, and thinking about doing it in cream-colored pearl cotton, which has the benefits of being soft, drapey, fine, and CHEAP!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my Soleil in Shine Cherry as well! I was very happy with the finished sweater. I've washed it twice in a sweater bag, gentle cycle, in my washer and it comes out beautifully. I'm no expert, but your lacework looks great to me.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Nadira said...

Thanks, Betsy. I'm glad to hear it's washable. If you've got pics of your Soleil, I'd love to see them.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Columbia Doors said...

Thanks for thiis blog post

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home