Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 in Review

Like 2005, 2006 was a big year, although not a huge knitting (and especially not a big finishing) year. Highlights include:
- starting a new job in March
- performing more often (I'm a belly dancer)
- launching a video podcast on dance composition for belly dancers
It wasn't the easiest or happiest year I've had, but I have come to a better understanding of what I want from my life, and that's a very useful thing.


NOTE: this post is going to replace the 2006 items in my Finished Objects sidebar. Click on the pictures to link to the appropriate posts, which often have more pics.


THINGS I'VE MADE:

- Zig Zag

My first long-sleeved pullover, and a staple in my winter wardrobe. This was my Knitting Olympics project, which I didn't finish in time.

- Clapotis #3

A gift for my mother-in-law's 60th birthday

- Suri Dream Swatch Stole

This started out as a really big swatch (stockinette with garter stitch edges and inset rectangles of reverse stockinette, which you can't really see), but it was so nice to work with, I kept going. Two balls later, my mom decided it made a wonderful mini-stole when clipped in place with a pin or hairclip, so I gave it to her as an extra birthday present. Apparently she's gotten all kinds of compliments on it.

- Droplet Hat

This was the final gift for my one-skein SP


THINGS I'M STILL WORKING ON:

- Tubey #1


- Retro Throw


- Rising Flames Socks


- Serrano


- Tubey #2


IN THE FINISHING BASKET:

- Snowflakes and Arrows Vest


- Blissful Jacket

- 2 hats for Afghans for Afghans


- Banff for Afghans for Afghans for Afghans
re-sized for an older kid and re-gauged for McTaggart Tweed

- Lelah top for my sister


- Hopeful


- Wrap with Sleeves

I don't know that I worked on this at all this year...


THINGS I NEED TO GIVE UP ON:
- Paris Loop

What was I thinking?


THINGS ATTEMPTED AND FROGGED:

- Green Gables


- a mini version of Print o' the Wave


NEW TECHNIQUES I'VE TRIED:

- hand dyeing with kool-aid


- spinning with a drop spindle


- my first buttonhole


- fair isle and steeks



OTHER FIRSTS:

- posted my first pattern



- participated in the Knitting Olympics (not medaling on my solo project, but leading what I believe to be the KO's only relay team to the gold)

- bought (and then promptly ignored) my domain, Yarngineering

- color awareness (tip: housewares magazines are a great source of inspiration for color combos. I find especially good combos in Crate and Barrel catalogues. I've even started keeping a scrapbook of ideas.)

- participating in my first Secret Pal exchanges (SP7 and the one-skein SP)

- represented Afghans for Afghans at the Boston Knit Out and Crochet Too

- posted two instructional mini-videos online

- tweaked a fair isle pattern to include shaping


NICE PEOPLE I'VE MET:

- Paula, my SP7 spoilee (check out her nature photography)

- Rainey, my SP7 spoiler, and fellow bellydancer

- Shannon, my one-skein SP spoilee, and famous author

- Alison, my one-skein SP spoiler, who lives on a houseboat in the UK


ITEMS I WANT TO MAKE IN 2007:
Well, there are lots of these, but here are the ones that are highest on my list at the moment.

- Sweet Mary Jane from Knitpicks (shop there; they're great).

Have yarn, will knit. This will be my first laceweight project.

- Odessa


- Apricot Cardigan

- Whisper


- Eiffel

THINGS I WANT TO LEARN/TRY/ACCOMPLISH:

- blog more often

- um, knit more

- (from my 2006 list) design my own sweater. I've actually done this once, and it fit really well, but a fitted raglan sweater in bulky boucle is just not flattering, so I frogged it, bought more, and made a blanket instead.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, Jess, that list is really impressive. I was impressed with the yarn you dyed for me in SP7, and all the other goodies. I was stash diving today in preparation for destashing, and telling myself, have to save the yarn Jess sent me. (Of course, I had to save a lot of other yarn too, LOL)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Happy 2007! If you decide to make the Apricot Jacket, let me know and I can share the pattern with you (unless of course you already have it or are dying to purchase the magazine for other patterns...)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Bonnie O. said...

What a busy and productive year you had!! Love that cream pullover.

Could I ask you to remove me from the Tubey blog, please? Thanks!!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

You've got a lot done!!! I haven't finished Serrano either. :-(

It's a good list and inspires me to make up one of my own

3:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, thats quite a list! I just started on Serrano the other day. have you started it yet? I would like to be added to the KAL, too... I've sent a couple emails but haven't gotten a response.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home