Saturday, September 23, 2006

We have a winner, a knit-along, a cause, and a spoilee

Thanks everybody for weighing in on color choices for Serrano. I'll be going with my first instinct, the lovely mint green:

It might be a little heavier than called for, but what's a little recalculating for a knitting geek like me?

My SP7, Rainy and I are hosting a knit-along. Come join us!


Not busy tomorrow (Sunday)? Come see me at the Boston Knit Out and Crochet Too. I'll be staffing the Afghans for Afghans booth until 2pm, and flitting about after that. Stop by and say hi!


I'm several weeks late announcing it, but I have revealed myself to my one-skein spoilee, Shannon Okey. Shannon is a bigwig author (her new book, Spin to Knit is about to be released by Interweave Press), used to live in my neighborhood (although probably not at the same time), and learned to spin from the same person I did: Lucy from Mind's Eye.

Now that I'm revealed, I can show you the gift I made for her:

(Shannon took a better picture)

That's the Droplet Hat from Knitting Nature in McTaggart Tweed from Beaverslide Dry Goods. I did four pattern repeats instead of five to make up for a gauge difference (3.5 vs. 4.5-5 st/in).

I first tried to do a scarf using the cable pattern from the Vortex-Street Pullover, but:
- it was way too big in the yarn I chose, so I couldn't do the whole pattern
- it made a much stiffer fabric than I wanted
- I didn't have enough yarn to make a long enough scarf without cutting the pattern on the sides, and I didn't like my modification.
- the cable pattern didn't "pop" in that yarn at that gauge

I took pictures, but I can't find them, so I think they may have been deleted. :(

Still, I think I'll have to make that sweater eventually; I did my thesis on Vortex-Induced vibration, so I think it's a moral imperative


Oh, yeah, and I started a Tubey in Karabella Aurora 8 (in brown, wine, teal, rust, indigo, and pumpkin), and finished Hopeful, but one sleeve is too short, so I need to redo. I will post pictures eventually, I swear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home