Monday, September 04, 2006

Yarn Diet, a poll

Inspired by my OSSP Ali (not to mention by my hefty yarn purchases over the summer), I am going on a yarn diet.

I can buy yarn only under the following circumstances:
- I have made at least 25% progress towards a WIP (or done the finishing on something in the finishing basket) since my last purchase
AND
- I buy it with a gift certificate (and I may add up to 30% of the value of the certificate ONLY if needed to buy the exact amount of yarn I need for the project I have in mind) OR
- I am buying it to make a gift for someone else for a gift-giving occasion, and nothing already in my stash will do


I can buy fiber for spinning under the following conditions:
- I have spun up all my fiber (I can order when the last batch is spun but not yet washed, but I have to wash it before it arrives)
- I spend no more than $20/month for the fiber (exception: may spend two month's worth

Luckily, I'm going to be filming for the national film challenge with the Postmodern Avengers the weekend of Rhinebeck! Unless, of course, we get assigned the documentary genre, in which case I think that calls for a fiber film...


And, of course, I have met my purchasing conditions with some hefty progress on Hopeful (pics coming soon), so I am going to use a kpixie gift certificate my lovely coworkers at MIT gave me when I left to get some Aurora 4, over which I have been salivating for weeks. Whee!

Now, Aurora 8 is officially my all-time favorite yarn. Nothing beats its softness, springiness, and versatility, not to mention the color choices. Except that it's kinda pricey. But when you start getting into the fingering-weight range, yarn suddenly gets a whole lot cheaper. I was thinking of making this lovely:

when I saw Serrano from the latest Knitty:

Fitted sweater, fun lace pattern, HOOK AND EYE CLOSURES? How could I not knit this baby?


The question is, what color? The contenders:

1- color 15 in a lovely mint-to-celery green:


2- color 13 in turquoise, which always looks nice on me. I already have a turquoise Sitcom Chic, but that's a summer-weight sweater.


3- color 6, a nice brown. Would be very versatile, but I'm not sure it would pop the way I this this sweater deserves


4- color 10, a sassy hot pink, which would look *fabulous* with a tank top I own, buuuuuut I already have some Aurora 8 in the same color, which I'll be using for a non-lacey cardi.


5- color 9, a slighly more bubble-gummy pink, which has the exact same pros and cons as 10.


6- color 20, a beautiful pale aqua / baby blue


So many choices! I think this calls for... A POLL!



Which color should I use for Serrano?
Mint Green
Turquoise
Brown
Hot Pink
Bubblegum Pink
Aqua/Baby Blue
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com





And if I may end with a word that made me laugh so spasmodically my husband thought I was choking: stashweasel. Just scroll down.

5 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

I voted for mint green. Either way, the Serrano will look fabulous on you.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Yarn diet? Yarn diet?! Perish the thought! Thanks again for all your most excellent Secret Pal-i-ness -- as you'll see on the blog, I'm back from out of town & got your fantastic present! You'll have to come to Mind's Eye when I'm there next month...consider it an official Diet from Yarn Diet Day!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on making a yarn diet commitment but be careful. My diet has only led to other obsessions such as buying pattern books and my denise needles! Good luck!!
p.s. I voted for the hot pink!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I voted turquoise ... but I want to knit it in hunter green and wear it over a little [huh?] black dress. Make that a big black dress, LOL. Good luck with the diet ... I'm no good at any kind of diet. I would have to call it "a new life-style", hehe.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Oh, I'm knitting Serrano too, but in black, natch!

Yarn diets are hard. I mostly fail miserably at them. I fail even harder at roving diets. Fiber in general is hard to resist. Good luck!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home