Monday, November 07, 2005

Clapotis!

Well, Clapotis is finished. She is beautiful, and bringing her into the world was in itself an act of beauty.

I used Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb in Forest (a discontinued color), and this is officially the SWEETEST YARN EVER. So soft. So shiney, such beautiful color distribution. I had a teensy bit of pooling, and it looked like I MEANT to do it that way.

I followed the pattern to the letter, with two exceptions:
- instead of using stitch markers, I purled the stitched to be dropped (as the Australian aborigines say: the more you know, the less you need)
- I twisted the stitched on either side of the purled stitch on both sides, not just on the knit side, I think this looks more even. Plus, it gives your brain a little more of a work-out.

I used size 8 needles and 3.5 skeins. I had a tiny little ball left afterward (maybe 1/2" in diameter), without doing extra increases or straight sections. I haven't measured it yet, but it makes a nice small wrap. If I had had the full four skeins (I split an order of seven skeins with my yarn buddy), I might have done an extra couple straight sections for a little more length. still, I can wear it over my shoulders and under my elbows like a stole, and I can wrap it all the way around my shoulders too.


I wore her outside for the first time yesterday with jeans and a teal poorboy. She was lovely. I wore her purl-side-out. I like both sides, although I didn't realize that Kate Gilbert meant the purl side to be the right side until I heard her on KnitCast, so I still think of the knit side as the "right side". I do think that the purl side has better "grip", so it's less likely to slide while you're wearing it. Both sides have excellent grip.

I was shopping in Target, and a lady around my age came up to me and asked me, not if I had made it, but WHERE I GOT IT! What a compliment! I told her I had made it myself, and she said I had done a very good job.

Beam!

Pictures soonish, I promise. Just not tonight. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home