Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Jessica's Triumphant Return to Blogging

Wow. I have gone over five months without blogging. This was difficult to understand, since I went on hiatus at the same time that I removed the major cause of stress from my life. I didn't stop knitting, but I just didn't feel a need to blog, and sometimes felt a distinct aversion to it. This was very puzzling to me, and I've only begun to understand it in the last few minutes.

To put it mildly, I had a highly stressful year. To call it traumatic wouldn't be much of an exaggeration. Pressure, frustration, hysterical crying, stomach pain, and lack of sleep were daily features of my life. And while the experience itself was almost entirely negative, it did force a re-examination of my priorities, attitudes, and life goals that most people don't get around to for another 10-20 years, and that many never do. I wish I had reached the same outcome in a more pleasant way, but what I've learned is valuable enough that I don't regret the experience.

So what does that have to do with blogging?

While I was in the stressful situation, blogging was a lifeline. I knit to avoid cracking, and I blogged in order to step into a world that was completely removed from the rest of my life. It kept me going. Blogging was my escape, a positive thing, but I still associated the act of escaping with the need to escape.

Five months removed, I'm ready to step back in. To quote Tank Girl "it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down." I'm not entirely over that experience yet, but I'm ready to start building new associations for blogging and everything else that it had colored.

I won't be blogging as often, and possibly not as extensively, as I did before entering the stressful situation, since I've added some new time commitments since then, but I do intend to do it on a more regular basis.


Coming soon: a post that I started back in February with an FO, spinning news, and more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home