Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Hello World

Yes, I'm a nerd, so of course I had to start with "Hello World".

I admit it: I'm still not sure how I feel about blogs. A large part of my job involves finding information online quickly, and so I'm often frustrated by the disorganized, chatty nature of blogs. But as I started following links to designer's blogs on Knitty (http://www.knitty.com), I found myself jumping from place to place and finding the oddest (and most fun) tidbits. Kind of like the web surfing we all did back in the early-to-mid 90's.

Maps are for taking a trip, not going for a drive.

This is the spirit with which I like to approach my knitting. Yes, I do use patterns (but not always), and I do sometimes swatch (but not always) and I do sometimes block (when I have to). But knitting for me is not goal-oriented. I don't knit because I want something; I knit because I like the feel of it. I like the way my brain shuts down just a little.

And I rip out stitches at the drop of a hat. Sometimes I've made a mistake, sometimes I've decided to change something, sometimes I scrap the entire pattern (only to return to it after the yarn is back in the ball). Because unmaking prolongs the making.

Penelope's got nothing on me.

Jess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home